Last night (Saturday 5th August) I took part in the Marie Curie 10K Walk to Remember up at Gibside. The area the walk was taking part in was stunning; the views from the top of a very steep hill were utterly breathtaking and the sight of the finish line was even better!
I took part in this walk alongside many members of staff, their family and friends from the school where my mam works. In April of this year, we sadly lost the Head teacher after a short battle with pancreatic and liver cancer. The school and all of its staff and pupils were hit extremely hard by this as it all happened so fast.
Jane was an amazing woman. She absolutely loved her job as Principal of the school, she was so down to earth and funny, she had a dry sense of humour and always got involved with the pupils and their activities.
Some of the staff took part in a 'Muddy Race for Life' where the proceeds go to Cancer Research UK, and one of the teachers is doing the Great North Run for the same charity.
We're all doing our bit in Jane's memory as she was so incredible and it's still hard to accept that she's gone.

The walk itself was 10K set across the rural countryside surrounding Gibside. The views were stunning and the walk through the 'forest' as we called it, was interesting...
I'm not much of a walker. I have my bronze and silver Duke of Edinburgh awards, but I did these a few years ago now - and even then I wasn't made for hiking through countryside!The walk started out gentle enough, bit of a downhill slope followed by some flat land. I'd been warned that Gibside was pretty steep, but I didn't expect half the hills to be so steep! It felt like if you stopped on a hill, you'd fall backwards and never be seen again!
Thankfully the walk wasn't a race, and everyone could go at their own, comfortable paces - we were a cross between a stroll and a power walk which suited me quite nicely!
As the sun began to set and we got deeper into the heart of the 'forest', we realised everyone was putting their torches on...we left ours on the kitchen bench! Good job I had a torch on my phone so we could see where we were going...that could have been a bit of a disaster otherwise!
Although the sights of the countryside surrounding the walk were stunning, seeing the sun set behind the scenery was amazing, the best sight of them all was this. The finish line.
People greeted us with balloons and pom poms, cheers and congratulations. There was a concert and fireworks afterwards which we didn't stay for - by this time all I wanted was to take off my walking boots and go to bed!
The walk was for a great cause, and the turnout was just amazing. So far, the school has raised £200 for Marie Curie which in itself is incredible.
If you wish to donate, please go to:
https://www.justgiving.com/nicola-west4/
and give as much as you can to this incredible cause.
The downside of doing a 10K walk?
My thighs are burning and I can't walk up or down stairs properly...but it's all worth it for the charity!
Until the next time :) xx


No comments:
Post a Comment