Thursday, 18 August 2016

Edinburgh!

Howdy!

So last weekend I went off up to Edinburgh with my family. Now, we as a family love Edinburgh and go at least twice a year together and have done for countless years. 
We're slightly obsessed...!

We go up every summer to go and watch the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo. Not many people have heard of the Tattoo. It's Military marching bands, dance groups and singers from around the world, come together and put on a fabulous performance! If you youtube the Tattoo, you'll find a whole host of amazing videos, some from this year's Tattoo too!


Edinburgh is a massive city, full of steep streets that are always crowded, a lovely park with Scottish seagulls and a whole variety of pubs! The Royal Mile is a street full of tourist souvenir shops, cafe's and restaurants, and of course, pubs. I've only been in a couple of the pubs on the Mile, but they've both lovely with a really good atmosphere, friendly staff and not bad prices for 4 drinks!

What I like about even these most authentic of Scottish pubs, is that they've opened their doors to cocktails! Now those of you that know me, know I'm partial to a cocktail or two. So when we went to the Albanach pub on the Mile and I saw they had a Chambord Spritz on the menu...I was over the moon! 2 measures of Chambord, a large dose of Prosecco and then topped up with soda. Heaven in a glass!



There's so many things I love about Edinburgh. I quite enjoyed sitting in Prince's Street Park with my Mam before we got the train home on Monday. The sun was shining, the seagulls were scrounging for food, and the best part? The amount of people walking past. The languages, the accents, the variety in age...everyone! Edinburgh is a city that has something for everyone! So go! Experience it for yourself! They have museums, art galleries, comedy clubs, shopping, wining and dining, bus tours...the list goes on and on!

Another thing I love about Edinburgh is the tartan. Much to Daniel's disgust! He is not a fan whereas I totally want us to have a tartan house. Sorry dear. Still trying to get him into a kilt for the wedding...maybe if we all slyly bring it into conversation often enough he'll come around to the idea?! Worth a try ;) There's such a wide variety of tartan out there; matching with clans and surnames, even countries that participate in the Tattoo all have their own version of tartan! So diverse and I don't think two tartans are ever the same!

If you haven't been to Edinburgh before, I certainly recommend going for a weekend or a few days and just getting lost in the atmosphere of the city.

If there's anywhere you think I should go, please leave a comment :)

Oh, and the best part of this year's trip to Edinburgh? The Harvey family selfie we took at the castle!



Until the next time :) xxx

2 comments:

  1. Awww, is it going to be the last time you got to Edinburgh as a Harvey?xx

    ReplyDelete